Thursday 25 October 2012

Asian Art

I saw several exhibits at the Metropolitan Museum of Art that featured Chinese and Japanese art devoted to depictions of nature and gardens.   The Chinese art featured works starting from the 11th Century.  I am beginning to think that I need to re-educate myself in the history of art.   After a lifetime of viewing early European art centering around religion and portraits of important people, it is interesting to contemplate the very sophisticated traditions of Asian art.  The Chinese works I saw were painted and drawn on silk, beginning in the 11th century, and are in a remarkable state of preservation.   They come from a very different way of looking at the world.  I especially like the very long scroll paintings, images that you simply can't take in without moving your eyes.  Here are a few examples, dating from the 11th and 12th centuries  (click to make them bigger):




No comments:

Post a Comment