Saturday 6 April 2013

More Berlin Pictures

I went to the outer fringes of Berlin to see a famous cinema, the Titania Palast.   Built in the 1920's, it was a beautiful example of modernism and "New Objectivity".
It looked like this:


Miraculously, it survived the war  As the only intact large theater space in Berlin, it was where the Berlin Philharmonic had its first postwar performances.  So I wanted to see it.   Alas, what Allied bombers failed to achieve, consumer capitalism has.  The front of the theater is now a clothing store, and the theater itself has been multiplexed.  A photo, avoiding the storefront:


I am going to remove those signs in Photoshop!


On the way, I saw this crazy structure; at first I thought it might be some war structure that couldn't be torn down (like the flak towers).  But it turns out that it was built in the 1970's as a beer hall/restaurant, and is now empty.  It became an art project for graffiti artists, hence the colors.




More pictures from the Mitte area, which is still being restored  (and more pink pipes).


The beautiful synagogue.   Unfortunately, the sidewalk in front of it is off limits; guarded by security guards.



I took some long rides on the S-Bahn. There were interesting views of all kinds of industrial and transportation structures in varying states of decay.


The famous Fehnsenturm, symbol of East Berlin:
(Somehow, whenever I see bulbous structures with windows, I think of the spaceship in 2001.)


The Hackesche Market S Bahn station:


No comments:

Post a Comment