Thursday 10 October 2013

Health Care and Guns

As I flew across the US from Vancouver to New York during the time of the US government shutdown and the hostage taking by Republicans in Congress, I was thinking about the strangeness of the US, with the obsession with guns and now the obsession with avoiding health care.  (I had lots of time to think, with my plane delayed three hours, missed connections, lost luggage, etc.)  And it suddenly occurred to me,  health care must be Un-American.   Real Americans don't go to doctors, they tough it out.  Doctors are for wimps and losers and those who can't take care of themselves.   When John Wayne was riding his horse to go out and kill Indians, did he stop to check to see if he had health insurance before he went?  No!   He had a gun, so anything that could harm him, he could deal with with a gun.   So if you have a gun, you don't need health care!

(Many years ago, I once saw a bumper sticker that said "The West wasn't won with registered guns".)


No comments:

Post a Comment