Thursday 10 October 2013

Magritte at MOMA

I saw the Magritte show at MOMA.  Magritte is one of those painters whose images are instantly familiar and recognizable as Magritte.  In fact, to me they seem so familiar that I have trouble getting beyond the fact that what I see is a Magritte.   I was hoping that a large show would give me a better insight, but it didn't really happen.   The most interesting parts were the early collages, where you see him experimenting with the same images he ended up using in a lot of his painted pictures.   Ultimately, I found that his paintings recycle the same motives over and over again; thus there are numerous variations on the "Ceci N'Est Pas une Pipe" motive.   Seeing the paintings in person didn't do much for me, they don't really look the different than the reproductions, to my eyes.
I did notice one phenomenon in the very crowded exhibit.  As I was trying to look at a large painting, I counted four people standing in front of the painting.  None of them were looking at the painting; all of them were squinting at their little gadgets, trying to start up the commentary or whatever.   Not good.

(Perhaps some future enterprising artist will come up with a show that is nothing but blank spaces on the walls, except for little numbers that tell you which which file on your gadget to access for words and images.  Putting things on walls is so outdated.)

Trying to find images at MOMA's website makes my internet browser crash...

________________________________________________________________________

                             SCREENSHOT OF MAGRITTE PAINTING


________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment