Monday 25 January 2016

A Bushnik Goes To Bushwick

I went to the Bushwick neighborhood in Brooklyn to see a show in a gallery of work by the American "outsider" artist Charles Dellschau.   He lived in Texas in the early 1900's, and was obsessed by flying machines.  He created wonderful drawings of his imagined airships, and filled his notebooks with obscure markings.  There was something called "NBGas", which was an anti gravity force.  The show, a small one, had a room full of these amazing images.   This is classic outsider art.

Here are some examples:

















I had never been to the newly emerging gallery district in Bushwick before.  When I got out of the L train stop I quickly stopped at a cafe for a coffee.   The cafe was rather odd; it was full with about 10 or 15 people, but completely silent.   I quickly realized that every person in the room was staring in silence at a screen of some kind.

The district itself is fascinating. It's basically a combination of industrial buildings, empty wasteland, and newly repurposed buildings that have galleries and studios.   It's close to Newtown Creek, the legendary polluted creek.   The area is surprisingly colorful in the literal sense; my roving camera eye found lots to see.   I love finding color.








































































No comments:

Post a Comment